Tuesday, February 23, 2021

THE LOVE FOR THE SEA AND THE FEAR OF BOAT RIDES

I love the sea and the boats and I have spent a lot of time sitting on boats that are pulled and kept ashore by the fisherfolk. As an artist, I love every vibration of the sea and everything around it.

I have had many opportunities to go for a water ride with my family during the several travels that we have had. They would try to talk and persuade me to hire a boat for all of us to go for a ride. I would politely refuse and discourage them citing some reason or the other. On very few occasions, I gave in to their persuasion and went along. This was for rides in small rivers but where the water was still deep though. While everyone else would be enjoying the ride, I would be very conscious and tense and wouldn’t be able to focus. It was fear inside me that was causing this. Nobody in my family knows swimming and that is something I thought would have really been useful for all of us. But again, will knowing swimming really help us to wade to safety from any type of waterbody? I am not sure.



Recently, on our trip to Langkawi, my family hired a boat for a travel to a small island. They told me that it’s on a shallow water and there is nothing to panic. Very reluctantly I stepped in as I did not want them to lose an opportunity. The boat started and soon it was going at a speed that I have never experienced before and we were actually going into deeper waters, first through a bay area and then straight into the sea. If I had known this earlier, I would have adamantly avoided this, but I was totally oblivious to this.

On reaching the island after the nail biting ride, I enjoyed every moment that nature unfolded in front of me.

I think in life too, it has happened to me, that I have been reluctant to take up something I loved because something connected to it was something I feared. May be what I need is an oblivious push.


FOR MY WRITINGS, PLEASE VISIT THE LINKS BELOW (FREE ON KINDLE UNLIMITED):

POEMS OF LOST LOVE

Poetry book 'INDELIBLE ETERNAL ETCHINGS':

https://www.amazon.in/INDELIBLE-ETERNAL-ETCHINGS-emotions-unbridled-ebook/dp/B072J4L656/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=indelible+eternal+etchings&qid=1583428166&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/INDELIBLE-ETERNAL-ETCHINGS-emotions-unbridled-ebook/dp/B072J4L656/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=indelible+eternal+etchings&qid=1583428402&sr=8-1

STORIES

Short Story book 'A PEARL FROM EVERY OYSTER':

https://notionpress.com/read/a-pearl-from-every-oyster

https://www.amazon.in/Pearl-Every-Oyster-Stories-Shorter/dp/1948473151/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3GI23X9JIKQGK&keywords=a+pearl+from+every+oyster&qid=1583428674&sprefix=A+Pearl+from%2Caps%2C302&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Every-Oyster-Stories-Shorter-ebook/dp/B07948GRVC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1H9GU3Q8JNH29&keywords=a+pearl+from+every+oyster&qid=1583428722&sprefix=a+pearl+from+ev%2Caps%2C363&sr=8-1

For other countries, please visit the respective Amazon sites.

3 comments:

Ankur said...

Fear of unknown :)

Roy Cherian Cherukarayil said...

Yes Ankur...that's the one.

Noble Yuvaraj said...

Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.-Marie Curie