Saturday, February 20, 2021

A FRAME OF MIND FOR ART

Seeing my interest in art, especially writing, my father after reading my work, would tell me "Keep on writing". He would then add another embellishing sentence to it "Of course, you need a frame of mind to write". He never elaborated on what he meant and neither did I ask him anytime as to what specifically he was referring to.



It was just about ten years since I had entered my professional space and about seven years since I got married. He had observed as to how the professional space and the family space had had their impacts on me, both on the positive and negative side.

Today, when I sit back and think about those words, I believe what he meant was about how quickly I could recover from the impacts in these two spaces and get into a frame of mind that writing demanded. And I find it a real challenge today as almost everyday, there is something or the other that affects me from one or both these spaces.

Creating a frame of mind means creating a space for ourselves and that can happen only when we switch off from the other spaces.

I thought that sometimes I need to ignore certain things to create this frame of mind. This is probably what some mean when they say "Take things lightly". But then, artists are the most sensitive lot.




FOR MY WRITINGS, PLEASE VISIT THE LINKS BELOW (FREE ON KINDLE UNLIMITED):

POEMS OF LOST LOVE

Poetry book 'INDELIBLE ETERNAL ETCHINGS':

https://www.amazon.in/INDELIBLE-ETERNAL-ETCHINGS-emotions-unbridled-ebook/dp/B072J4L656/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=indelible+eternal+etchings&qid=1583428166&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/INDELIBLE-ETERNAL-ETCHINGS-emotions-unbridled-ebook/dp/B072J4L656/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=indelible+eternal+etchings&qid=1583428402&sr=8-1

STORIES

Short Story book 'A PEARL FROM EVERY OYSTER':

https://notionpress.com/read/a-pearl-from-every-oyster

https://www.amazon.in/Pearl-Every-Oyster-Stories-Shorter/dp/1948473151/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3GI23X9JIKQGK&keywords=a+pearl+from+every+oyster&qid=1583428674&sprefix=A+Pearl+from%2Caps%2C302&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Every-Oyster-Stories-Shorter-ebook/dp/B07948GRVC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1H9GU3Q8JNH29&keywords=a+pearl+from+every+oyster&qid=1583428722&sprefix=a+pearl+from+ev%2Caps%2C363&sr=8-1

For other countries, please visit the respective Amazon sites.

2 comments:

Matthai John Vettath said...

Its like finding a gap for Creativity in the work life balance.

Roy Cherian Cherukarayil said...

Yes Cha. I am not sure if creativity will thrive within a family space always. May be it depends on the dynamics within each family. Solitude is a heaven for me but I remember the great opener Mr.Sunil Gavaskar mention once in an interview that he could focus and read within a room where his mates were speaking loudly and laughing. So it's a different kind of capability. Creative pursuit of course is several notches beyond reading.